Cordial ties between Thailand and Switzerland have been recognized for almost a century. On behalf of our Novartis associates in Thailand, I would like to congratulate the two countries for their long history of diplomatic relations. We are honored to be part of Thai-Swiss relationship and to join this celebration of the 90th anniversary.
For 50 years, Novartis, a Swiss-headquartered company, has contributed to patients’ needs in Thailand with a mission to discover new ways to improve and extend people’s lives. As one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, we have been able to use our expertise from the Swiss-headquarters to address healthcare challenges faced by the Thai people. We provide innovative medicines to treat illnesses including cancer, cardio-metabolic, and rare diseases. Sandoz, a division of Novartis, also supplies biosimilars and generic pharmaceuticals, widening access to high-quality medicines.
Through bringing in innovative medicines, we are proud to make a significant contribution to the Thai economy. With our office in the heart of Bangkok, we currently employ over 500 people country-wide in a variety of roles and indirectly support the creation of more than 10,000 jobs in Thailand. In 2019, Novartis is estimated to have contributed to a total of THB 7 billion to the Thai economy1. A significant investment is in Research and Development where we collaborate with 7 major research centers with over 60 clinical trials underway in 2021.
To be a trusted partner in Thai healthcare and society, we provide medical education by supporting healthcare stakeholders, hospitals and medical societies and conduct disease awareness programs for patients and the public. ‘Colors of Cancer’, a patient-focused campaign that encouraged positive attitudes towards battling cancer, is one of the initiatives that we are proud of. The campaign received tremendous support from a group of artists and celebrities for this awareness-raising art exhibition. In addition, we were honored and delighted to have Her Excellency Helene Budliger Artieda, Switzerland’s Ambassador to Thailand, speaking at the event.
Photos from: The announcement of ‘Colors of Cancer’ campaign
From left to right: Atsadawut Luengsuntorn (Actor), Panitta Srisa-ard (General Manager of the Mall Group Co. Ltd.), Suthavadee Sirithanachai (Deputy Managing Director of the Emporium & the EmQuartier), H.E. Helene Budliger Artieda (Ambassador of Switzerland to the Kingdom of Thailand), Ireal Traisarnsri (Metastatic Breast Cancer Patient Advocate), Sumalee Kristarnin (Country President and Oncology General Manager of Novartis (Thailand) Ltd.), and Pattera Puttisuraseat (Artist)
Supporting the development of healthcare in Thailand and understanding the changing healthcare needs of Thai society are critical to Novartis’ success. With this in mind, since 2005 we have developed a long-term partnership with BIOTEC, Thailand’s National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, to discover natural products for use in drug development.
We are committed to addressing the needs of Thai people facing access and affordability challenges, which is why we established a patient assistance program to provide treatment at no cost to eligible patients with cancers. Furthermore, Novartis donated THB 7.75 million to the Department of Medical Services Foundation to quickly assist in combating COVID-19.
Novartis continues to pursue our priorities in building trust with society and offering advanced therapy solutions, contributing to a brighter future for Thai people. As we look ahead, there is a wide range of programs and initiatives underway including:
- development of innovative medicines to provide world-class treatments to people across a wide-range of therapeutic areas
- expansion of access to essential medicines for Thai patients via Sandoz products and patient access programs
- adoption of the United Nations Women’s Empowerment Principles as part of our commitment to promote diversity and inclusion, gender equality, and women’s empowerment
We look to tomorrow to inspire us today. We look forward with enthusiasm and optimism to continue reimagining medicine to improve and extend Thai people’s lives.
By Sumalee Kristarnin,
Country President and Oncology General Manager
Novartis (Thailand) Ltd.
About Novartis (Thailand) Ltd.
Novartis (Thailand) Ltd. employs over 500 people in Thailand, and offers a wide range of healthcare products through our Pharmaceuticals, Oncology, and Sandoz Divisions. Our activities include marketing, partnering projects, clinical research, and Corporate Citizenship initiatives such as patient access programs and corporate donations. The company has contributed to patients’ needs in Thailand since 1971, first through the parent companies, Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz, and subsequently through the merged entity, Novartis in 1996. Throughout the years, Novartis (Thailand) Ltd. and its predecessor companies have provided many innovative products that treat address some of society’s most challenging healthcare issues and create a higher quality of life for Thai patients.
- The economic contribution is calculated based on the methodology from International Valuation Roundtable, which includes GDP contributions arising from Novartis own business activities, GDP contributions which come from Novartis buying goods and services from vendors in Thailand including the purchases by vendors in Thailand along the entire supply chain, and GDP contributions which come from the consumption of goods and services by Novartis employees as well as employees of the businesses along the entire supply chain.
มุมมองภาคธุรกิจ | Business Perspectives
บทความอื่น ๆ | Other Posts
- หนังสือการ์ตูน 5 ภาษาสำหรับเด็กโดยสมาคมครูไทยในสวิตเซอร์แลนด์ | Cartoon for Children in 5 Languages by Thai Teachers Association in Switzerland
- ตามหาแม่ไม้มวยไทยในสวิตเซอร์แลนด์ ตอนที่ 3 | Discover Art of Muay Thai in Switzerland Part 3
- วีดิทัศน์การแสดงดนตรีคลาสสิกทางไกลเพื่อเฉลิมฉลองโอกาสการครบรอบ 90 ปีความสัมพันธ์ทางการทูตไทย – สวิตเซอร์แลนด์ | Virtual Musical Performance to Celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Thailand – Switzerland Diplomatic Relations
- ตามหาแม่ไม้มวยไทยในสวิตเซอร์แลนด์ ตอนที่ 2 | Discover Art of Muay Thai in Switzerland Part 2
- คอนเสิร์ตออนไลน์ “ดนตรีดลใจ 90 ปี สัมพันธไมตรี ไทย – สวิส” 15 ธ.ค. 64 เวลา 13.00 น. | Online Concert “Inspired Melodies Celebrating 90 Years of Thai – Swiss Relations” 15 Dec. 21 at 13.00h